Sick trolls have targeted King Charles as republicans have reignited calls to “abolish the monarchy”.
On Monday, it was announced that the monarch, 75, had been diagnosed with a form of cancer.
Anti-monarchy activists subsequently took to social media, where they posted negative messages about the King alongside the hashtag #AbolishTheMonarchy.
One said, regarding the news of King Charles’s cancer: “William must now step up to the challenge and demonstrate he can cut a ribbon and reveal a plaque just as regally as his father, so the country doesn’t destabilise.”
King Charles left Clarence House earlier today
Another wrote: “Oh no, how will we cope?”
In addition, someone said: “King Charles III is diagnosed with cancer, wishing him a speedy recovery, but he can afford the treatment of such a chronic disease while other people around the world are dying everyone else and can’t get the same standard of care and attention.”
A social media user added: “I seriously do not understand people who worship the monarchy.
“They have an abundance of money and walk around shaking hands. I am sick of it.”
Queen Camilla and King Charles leaving Clarence House today
Another account commented: “Yes, the ludicrous obsession with the monarchy is a blot on any nation purporting to be a model of democracy. Totally obscene!”
One troll posted: “The average person in the UK has a bare minimum of 62 days to begin cancer treatment.
“#KingCharles had less than a week, I wish him a full recovery, but don’t praise him as a hero, the royals are so out of touch with reality and need to be abolished.”
Another wrote: “#KingCharlesIII is diagnosed with cancer, so are thousands of other people every day, we wish him a speedy recovery, what a pity everyone else can’t get the same standard of care and attention that he and others in the Royal Family command.”
Trolls on X have posted with the hashtag #AbolishTheMonarchy
Queen Camilla and King Charles will return to Sandringham where the King will continue treatment
On Monday, Buckingham Palace released the following statement: “During The King’s recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer.
“His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties. Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.
“The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible.
“His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer.”