- Conor McGregor’s long-awaited comeback has been talk of MMA for some time
- He said he’d fight Michael Chandler in June, before Dana White denied it
- UFC president has now said when he is targeting for McGregor vs Chandler
Dana White has revealed that Conor McGregor’s long-awaited comeback has been pushed back again.
He announced that the return of ‘Notorious’ is being earmarked for autumn this year, a blow for fans who had held out faint hope that McGregor might headline UFC 300 or come back in the summer at the latest.
This week, McGregor had taken to Instagram to vent his frustration at the lack of movement regarding his return in a clear message to his paymasters.
He wrote: ‘Get this f*****g date set.’
And when asked about the former two-weight champion’s return, White told Pat McAfee: ‘Eventually. Hopefully this year. There is no date. I’m hoping for the fall. [Hopefully] we get it done in the fall.’
Conor McGregor’s long awaited comeback has been pushed back again by the UFC
Even then, White’s phrasing was far from a guarantee that autumn will be when McGregor comes back.
By then it will have been more than three years since he last stepped foot into the octagon for the trilogy with Dustin Poirier in which he broke his leg in the first round.
It has seemed as though McGregor is desperate to come back for a while, teasing and then sharing a supposed fight day in a video at the end of last year, telling his fan’s he will be fighting Chandler at middleweight in June.
White then poured cold water on that in an interview, leaving many fans confused as to what is going on behind the scenes.
McGregor appears fit and ready to fight, sharing regular training videos, he is back in the testing pool and has fully recovered from his leg injury.
Recently he even hinted he could be the headliner for the historic UFC 300 card on April 17.
He wrote: ‘McGregor on 300 seals the deal.’ Chandler replied: ‘I accept, see you soon.’
Conor McGregor is clearly desperate for an announcement on his next fight
McGregor has not fought since suffering a broken tibia in his trilogy fight with Dustin Poirier
With UFC 300 already set to be an enormous card and International Fight Week in June a grand spectacle, perhaps the MMA promotion want to spread out their major pay-per-view cards this year.
But the UFC 300 card is still without a headliner and needs the showpiece fight to pull it all together on what is already a stacked event.
It will be fascinating to see who White and Co choose, given that hopes of a McGregor comeback in April have now been ended.